We Need a Stimulus Package to Bail Out People, Not Corporations
With the Covid-19 pandemic devastating the economy, we must ensure that people in the United States are financially secure, safe from eviction, can feed themselves and their families, and won’t be bankrupted by health care bills if they get sick.
We call on the House and Senate to craft a people-focused stimulus that will put money directly into people’s pockets and address a series of issues with the current legislation:
- Direct payments of $2,000 per person, per month
- Immigration status shouldn't affect payments
- Payments not subject to liens and garnishments
- Paycheck Protection Program goes to small businesses, not law firms, national chains, and publicly traded companies
- Hazard pay for essential workers
- National rent and homeowner mortgage relief
- Increased accountability for any funds provided to corporations
- Increased funding for food security programs
It is wholly unacceptable that the young, the poor, and people of color have to bear the brunt of this economic crisis. Our relief package must be targeted to the people who are most affected, and have the most financial insecurity, as much as possible.
Please sign the petition for a People's Bailout using the form to the right, then visit our ACTION page to learn how to get involved in our campaign to elect a Senator for People, Planet, and Peace.
Lisa Savage’s full plan for Covid-19 response can be found here.
Find information about Lisa Savage, her policy positions, background, and how to support her people-powered campaign at www.LisaforMaine.org.