A white supremacist country can never be great. People are fed up with unaccountable policing that targets Black men, women, and children and deals out injury, death, humiliation, and destruction of lives without meaningful consequences. Hundreds of thousands have rightly taken to the streets in all 50 states, including throughout Maine.
It's time to tackle systemic racism head on. We call on Congress to begin working, immediately, to address the vacuum of leadership and pass a comprehensive racial justice agenda now. At a bare minimum, they must:
- Take up the matter of reparations to Black Americans for slavery and systemic racism, immediately.
- End senseless programs that funnel military equipment to local police departments.
- Fund and convene a commission designed to radically reduce the number of people incarcerated in the United States, which leads the world in mass incarceration.
- Increase funding to the Department of Justice for a mandate to root out white supremacist elements in our national police forces and prosecute excessive uses of force.
- Pass national legislation making it illegal to hire police officers who have been removed from their position for the excessive use of force or discriminatory practices.
- End "qualified immunity" so police officers are held civilly liable for abuses, and amend federal civil rights law to allow more effective prosecution of police misconduct by changing the standard from willfulness to recklessness.
Finally, we call on our local governments to begin a transition to community control of police, beginning immediately.
Sign the petition to tell Congress to pass a comprehensive racial justice agenda now!